Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sunday-itis


You may not know this, but my kids suffer from a rare condition. It occurs once every 7 days and usually the symptoms start after this conversation:
Kid: "Mom, can I play with a friend today?"
Mom: "No, it's Sunday and you need to get ready for church."
Kid: "It's Sunday? I feel really sick..."
Symptoms range from stomach aches to head aches to any number of things. They are non-specific and often the patient can't remember what they are if asked about them later. They also somehow rob children of the ability to clean their rooms, practice or read or do anything constructive while they are under the influence of this strange disease. This illness lasts until the rest of the family gets home from church and then, the symptoms magically dissapear. If anyone knows of a miracle cure for this unexplained phenomenon, please let me know. The kids think it can be cured by staying in their pajamas and watching cartoons.

5 comments:

wende said...

i wish i knew a cure, i suffer from the same ilness. i do have to say that pajamas do play an important role in the recovery processes! great post jenny!

wende said...

i meant illness - with two 'l's.

Jana said...

Obviously they got this from their Uncle Dave. No known cure.

Dirk Handlebar said...

Yeah, I totally have that too.

I still remember when I was 6 or 7, and school had just ended for the summer. That first Sunday, I got up and put on some clothes and went outside to play. When Mom told me "Not so fast - you need to get ready for church," I just stared at her blankly.

"There's no church today," I told her. "It's summer vacation."

Still the most disappointing moment of my life, when I learned that there is no summer vacation from church.

Allison said...

You are tagged. (see my blog)