Monday, August 4, 2008

Upright and Mobile

Well, it happened. My little Joey is walking. It was slow-going at first, but walking is now his preferred method of transportation.

I have been noticing so much about him--I guess it's because he's my last baby--just trying to treasure every little milestone because I know how fast it goes. I want to figure out a way to keep him this age forever. But it feels like the baby time is just slipping through my fingers.

I love seeing him happy every morning waiting for me when I go in to get him out of his crib.I love that little tummy. Blowing raspberries on it, tickling it, watching him show everyone his belly-button.
I love those little piggies. How can baby boy feet turn so quickly into the most grody, smelly things on the planet?
I love his little smiling eyes and freckles.
And of course his red curly hair. I may never cut it.
I'm going to miss rocking him to sleep, playing peek-a-boo, pretending to "sleep" and then "wake up," bath time, holding him while he's sleeping, snuggling and playing in my bed at night. seeing those sticky hands and dirty face with a huge smile when he has a popsicle, hearing ma-ma-ma-ma-ma as he crawls around on the floor, finding him eating the dog's food, running in at night to check on him when I hear him wimper, sitting outside watching birds, cries that only I can soothe, and millions of other things that make having a baby the greatest thing in the world.

So, here's my advice to new moms: Please don't get too excited for them to grow up fast. Don't push them to be big and wish that all the baby stuff would end. Enjoy every step of the way, because before you turn around, it's over and all you have are the sweet memories.

4 comments:

Jana said...

This post made me tear up a little. So cute.

wende said...

thanks for making me get all sad! this was a great post, i love that you recorded all the little details. i feel that it takes me to number four to know to do all that stuff. i know how you're feeling unfortunately. joey is getting big, i noticed the other night how much like a little boy he is looking and no so much like a baby any more - sorry.

and i'm with you on never cutting his hair...

Allison said...

I'M TEARY TOO! I love Joey's cinnamon roll belly button...LUCKY!

Stephanie said...

You are the coolest, cutest mom I know! I love reading your blog, it is so sweet to see how much you love your family.