Friday, February 5, 2010

Here's to you.

Some of you who don't live here in Utah may not know this, but "toasting" is totally not part of our culture. It's not just because we don't drink alcohol, we don't raise our water glasses or clink our sodas, either. For some reason, it's just not something we do here. In fact, I don't really know how to do it. There have only been a few times when I have been at an occasion fancy enough for someone to "raise a toast." And I have felt that uncomfortable heart-pounding anxiety as I tried to act like I knew what I was doing. But I didn't. Do you clink with everyone's glass? Or just the people right by you? How do you know whether to do one big clink in the center of the table or the little individual ones? What about the people that just raise up their glass and nod? Does that mean they don't want to clink? Am I supposed to actually say the word, "Cheers"? That's right, I'm not exactly Emily Post. In fact, I think that the "Cheers" that Joey always wants to do is about as sophisticated as I get.

5 comments:

christy said...

That is so funny because we are not a "toasting" kind of family and I sometimes feel the same way when people decide to toast! They act like they do it EVERY TIME they sit down to dinner!
And yet...my kids will come right up to me and do the same thing..."Toast, Mom!"...and I click my coffee cup right next to their milk cups! Maybe God sticks "toasting" in us from the beginning and we have a natural desire to "bless" each other before we drink...hmmmm....

CHEERS TO YOU!

El Jeffe and the Girls said...

You're funny! We have friends with two little boys and they clink their two sippy cups together and say, "Ching ching!" It totally cracks me up!!!
-Susanna

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
M Hastings said...

"Cheers" not necessary, but common.

You clink glasses with those closest to you.

Raising your glass and nodding is also entirely acceptable. Usually it's best to take cues from those around you-clink glasses only if they seem to be clinking.

^_^

being unlimited said...

Only one rule in my book - always make eye contact with the person you are 'cheers-ing' with - nothing worse than holding out your glass and the other person is focused on someone else across the table!
But whatever you choose to do - have fun! lol - Alison