Sunday, January 4, 2009

What makes a jacket a jacket?


I have observed an interesting phenomenon this last week... My sister-in-law, Jana and also, her friend Susana, being California girls, don't recognize the subtle differences between a "jacket" and a "coat." Having received a BA in Linguistics, this little semantical anomale peaked my interest. Who knew that Utahns--famous for phrases such as "might-oughtta" or "usedta-could" would have such a precise definition for different types of outerwear? It is obvious to me as a Utah native what a "coat" is and what a "jacket" is. I am pretty sure that if I showed different examples to other Utahns, the classifications would be the same. Is this because we spend so much of the year in different types of outerwear? Compared to Californians, we do.

Just a little side note: My semantics professor (Carole Georgopolous) hated the claim that the Innuit languages of Canada and Alaska have multiple words for snow because they live in the environment they do--she believes that there are no "true synonyms" and the words identify different types of snow--powdery, slushy, icy, etc.

So, back to the original question. What makes a "jacket" a "jacket" and a "coat" a "coat?" And where do "hoodie," "parka," "windbreaker," and "sweater" fit into the mix?
I would define a coat as something you wear to keep warm--when it is really cold. A jacket is for chilly weather. Just to keep off the rain or to cover your arms when you have short sleeves. Is that a good definition? You would never wear a jacket skiing and a coat is too much for a spring picnic. But, then, there are instances where it gets dicey. What about labcoat or suitcoat? Neither of them keep you particularly warm. Also, sportsjacket. And one of those puffy vests--I wouldn't call that a coat. It's more of a jacket, but it is made of the same fabric as a parka. Just no sleeves. What's that all about? How do our minds keep all these straight? Why do we as Utahns have such a fine-tuned ear for these slight sematical diffences, but still say things like, "I seen it." or "We was listening."

Hmmm...

I love to think about these types of things. So, next time you are with someone from Hawaii or Florida or somewhere that doesn't have our same seasonal changes, ask them. Then, you can ponder these semantical subleties, too.
Please feel free to share any insights on this intriguing topic... As Dave and Jana would say in their Pennsylvania vernacular, "This needs answered!"

(I apologize for my horrible spelling--as you may know, blogger doesn't have spell-check and neither does my brain)

3 comments:

El Jeffe and the Girls said...

Thanks for educating me on cold weather language! Great post.

I mentioned the jacket/coat confusion on my blog and already had a friend comment that she didn't know the difference either. Good thing I'm not the only that is lame dash O.

-Susanna

Allison said...

That's too funny... it's just second nature to us. You don't wear your jacket to play in the snow... you wear your jacket UNDER your COAT when you play in the snow. You wouldn't wear your COAT around the house when your a little cold. As for LABCOATS... we should just call them LABJACKETS from now on. (obviously a CALIFORNIAN made up 'suitcoats' and such. They aren't educated in integrity of the COAT family.)

Good post, Jen. So where was I when this whole discussion went down? I always miss the good stuff.

-Al.

PS. Blogger has spell check... but not the COMMENT part.

El Jeffe and the Girls said...

Nice post, Jen. Is it good or bad that the coat/jacket discussion will likely be one of the most discussed events of our latest Lunt party crash?? (or the hollow earth kooks?)

Maybe next time we can discuss the ever popular UT term,"we was UP TO THE STAKE HOUSE"...a personal favorite of mine. Do the Moore's ever use that one? or is it reserved for people in Payson?

Thanks 1,000,000 for letting us crash your latest party! We love you guys.

El Jeffe~