Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Flexing my Democratic muscles...

Decision 2008: There are a lot of things going on in America that drive me crazy--I hate this stupid war, the continued existence of NASA, low pay for teachers... There is a lot of behind the scenes unethical stuff that happens in Washington and everywhere we have Bureaucrats and the nonsense that comes with them. But I also have the ability and the responsibility to do something about it. I can vote. There are few things that give me as much patriotic pride as this. We have such an amazing legacy of Democracy left to us by the people who fought in wars and courtrooms for this right. I think we take this duty for granted and don't see it as a privlige, but more like something we just might get around to. It has only been a few years since Iraq had its first election where people risked their lives to go and vote. They were so grateful to be able to have a say in their government that it was worth it to them to possible die for it. Frank told me that a few weeks ago, a full military colorguard and the pilots of his plane stood at attention at the cargo door reverently saluting a flag-covered coffin which was being loaded aboard. I just think of what a sacrifice that soldier made and so many others for freedom. My vote counts just as much as George Bush's or Kevin Bacon's or anyone's. Every vote is important. Whether or not you feel passionate about any of the candidates, just get out there and let your voice be heard!

It's really important for our kids to know how lucky they are. I hope they never hear us say that our votes don't matter or that it's a waste of time.


We're having a little election ourselves tonight. The dessert ballot has 2 candidates--who will win?
Can you tell who was victorious? Mmmm...Brownies. I think the scales were a little tipped, because chocolate will always win.
And I promise that my next post will be a little more light-hearted.

2 comments:

wende said...

this was a great post jenny and can i just say "amen" to all of it! i love that you had a dessert election. you really are the coolest mom ever. really.

Josi said...

Very well stated. You're boys are darling--and so grown up!